Wednesday, December 17, 2008
Monday, December 8, 2008
Sunday, November 30, 2008
When we got back we saw a dog and what a dog!! It's was Luigi but wow! He looks so funny! Here is a photo of him before the groom. and now here is the new luigi!!!
Saturday, November 1, 2008
When they first met Luigi was very scared, but as he got bigger he and Charlie got to like each other more and more. Soon they loved to play with each other. Luigi will lie on his back and Charlie will bite him. Luigi will try to run but Charlie will catch him quickly for he is a border collie. He loves to do agility and has won one rosette.
He and Luigi get on well which is good for we see him every week. We go on walks with Charlie and they will run and jump on each over (well Charlie will jump on Luigi!)
Here is a photo of luigi and charlie. if you want to know more about charlie go to my friends blog
This photo is one we call 'mop dog!'
Friday, October 10, 2008
We all love to watch him run. Sometimes he nearly gets run over by the bikes but not yet. If he runs in front of you so you nearly run him over, he looks at you as if to say "What do you think you're doing coming up behind me - you could have killed me!"
When he was little he was in his basket and in the basket is a clip to clip the dog in. We were biking along and he jumped out and was hanging there! Luckily my dad was behind me so he did not get hurt. If we do a good long ride he gets a really good walk.
At first Luigi howled when in the basket but now he loves to go in it (he likes it best when he has had a long walk first!)
Sunday, October 5, 2008
Saturday, October 4, 2008
Friday, October 3, 2008
- Weeing and pooing.
- Crying at night
- Money (vet bills toys food etc. etc.)
Now here is a list of good or great things about having a dog.
- Training (is a fun thing to do and makes a bond with your dog)
- Dogs can be great pals
- Running jumping (agility)
- Giving them food they love ( dogs do anything for sausage - so does Luigi)
How to make the problems into a list of good things.
- Weeing and pooing - go and look at puppy toilet training
- Crying at night - look at puppy seperation anxiety
- Grooming - bath lots if you do not want to groom your dog, or get a smooth coat one.
- Walks - you can just play or make walks fun. Let your dog off lead and do come training.
- Money - don't get a dog. Or put part of your money in a bank to cover the bills.
Wednesday, October 1, 2008
At the moment I am teaching him BANG. All you do is make a gun with your hands, shoot, say bang, push him over. He is getting better and will now go half way and I push him the rest of the way.
We have started to take him on bikes. We have a small cage on to back of my bike. He rides in that and sometimes we let him to run. He can run 11 miles an hour! Only sometimes do we go at that speed - mostly we go at 5 or 6 miles an hour but its a good walk for Luigi.
Saturday, September 6, 2008
Friday, September 5, 2008
- do I like dogs?
- am I happy to pay vet bills?
- is the house big enough?
- do I have the time to walk it?
- do you know that you will have to pick your holidays so your dog can come or you will have to pay to put it in kennels?
- do all the people in the house want a dog?
If the answers are all 'yes' go on to stage two 'what to buy'.
getting what you need
- bowls ( two)
- collar and lead (make sure the collar can go small)
- big fluffy toy (to snuggle up with a night)
- good tug of war toy
- good toy to throw ( balls are good)
- we have cage which you can put the dog in at night and when he is going in the car
- toy box
- brush (for coton de tulears use a poodle comb)
- harness ( good for family's that do a lot of walking)
- food but make sure it's the food that your puppy eats at the breeders
- soft bedding
- dog cutting scissors
- collar tag
- lots of dog books (go to coton de tulear books to find what books you need)
- poo bags
puppy care tips
- when doing a bath have lots of treats so your dog will like baths.
- give your dog a good set of food. A good but smelly way to see if he is having good food is to have a look at his poo - if it is dark brown he is having a good diet.
- Luigi is allergic to wheat. If he has it he scratches. Wheat is not good for your dog but most dogs can have it.
- you will need lots of things - look at this list and go and get them
- make sure that your dog cannot swallow a toy you buy
- do not take your dog on too long walks. We did this and we got stuck with a dog who was not allowed to play or go on walks for 2 weeks because he had a sore leg.
Luigi has learnt lots of tricks but how do you do them?
First get very nice treats. Next call him and make him sit. Hold both your hands up so that he has to jump. As he jumps to get the treat, meet his paws and say 'high five'. Soon you can just hold your hands up - no treats.
First get a lovely treat. Next get him to sit. Hold the treats just above his head. Hold out the other hand next to his paw. Tap the paw gently. He should lift his paw up. Let the paw rest on your hand and say 'paw'. If you keep up the good work your dog will be so well trained.
have a treat and have your dog siting. Lift the treat up and let the dog jump up to get it. As he jumps say 'beg'. When he is begging give him the treat. The longer the he can stay up the better. If he begs and you have not told him to, ignore him and have a dog that does not beg!
I would like you to comment if you try doing these tricks. Please tell me if it worked.
Monday, September 1, 2008
When you get out the of car you should have a play pen for your puppy. We did. We put our puppy in the pen.
If your dog cries do not look at it - just ignore it. Make sure you have food and water for the dog in the pen. From the minute your puppy goes into your home it must know who's boss. Now when the puppy is asleep leave it -but as it gets older you can wake it up. When he or she wakes up play with it gently for a while, then let it have a look round. Put it back in it's pen and sit and read a book in sight.
At night time make a bed next to the dog pen. If you have a cage in your room you can sleep with the puppy.
In the morning go outside and let it have a wee and poo (if it has not had one on the floor). If it goes give it a treat and say good dog (to find out more on toilet taining go to (coming).
Sunday, August 31, 2008
Watch the video which has worked for us and Luigi is great now.
Have a slack leash all the time.
Do not look at your dog or pat your dog .
If the video does not work try this - when your dog pulls on the leash kick it very gently but enough to make the dog look at you, and come back to you. When the dog is doing heel, give him treats. Note: make a noise when you kick the dog but make sure you do not use that noise when the dog is good. Later, you will only have to make the noise and the dog will go to heel.
- Lupus (is wolf in Latin)
I hope you like my cool puppy names.
Thursday, August 28, 2008
We have done lots of reading and it seems that some things we can do are ;
- Put in some clothing we have worn for him to snuggle up to.
- Leave a radio on.
- Leave a light on.
- Use an intercom to talk to your dog!
- Get him used to being left in his cage during the day. A good way to do this is 2 or 3 times a day we play with him for ten minutes. Next put the puppy in the cage for ten minutes, putting the time up 2 or 3 minutes every time. We are up to 25 minutes. Let the dog out but do not look at it or play or pat it for 5 minutes - this tells the dog that being in the cage is nothing to make a fuss about. Then play with and pat the puppy for ten minutes as a reward.
Luigi doesn't mind being in his cage during the day. It is just at night he is unhappy. We are trying lots of things and I will tell you what worked best to fix his puppy seperation anxiety when he is better.
Monday, May 12, 2008
It is very hot at the moment so a good thing to give your dog is a ice cube. Luigi loves it and it is good for his teething and hot weather. Luigi is now 6 months old. It has been HOT so Luigi sleeps a LOT.
We have to make sure that Luigi has lots of thing to chew.
Saturday, May 3, 2008
On the first day we left at 9am. We were in the car till 3pm but we did stop 3 times so Luigi could have a rest and a drink.
W stayed in a cottage. When we went in the Luigi was still in the car. We heard a dog bark. It was Tia. She is a lovely setter- she was very bouncy but good. We let Luigi out. The two dogs ran off to play chase. Then we went for a walk because Luigi had been in the car all day - we put our coats on and we saw lots of sheep and a sheep fold (which is like a house for sheep).
Luigi had never slept in his cage all night so we hoped he would not wet his bed. In the morning I got up at 6.30 to let him out for a wee. Luigi did not wet his bed - Yay!
We had a lovely holiday and we saw our grandparents too. Luigi likes holidays.
Wednesday, April 9, 2008
FIVE FACTS OF A COTON ARE
- When they are on the move they have their tails curled but when sleeping it is straight.
- A coton's hair can grow up to 8 inches or 20cm
- The coton was a Madagascan dog but the French named them.
- A coton can be born with a pink nose or a black one (it is supposed to be black but our puppy has a pink one!).
- Their ears can be brown when young but go white when older (16 months).
Tuesday, April 8, 2008
To day we bathed Luigi because he was messy. First we got a cup and poured water over him. But do NOT pour water over his or her head. Next get some shampoo and rub it into the fur until it is all soapy. And then rinse out the soap.
When we lift Luigi out we have to rinse out his paws. Lots of fur and water make one heavy dog. Next we dry him. This takes a lot of time, but if you do it well you will not have to use the hairdryer on your dog. When we had dried him he was still wet so we used the hairdryer on him but he thought it was a game and barked at it when we blew hot air at him.